суббота, 21 июня 2014 г.

Frogs

The Grey Cardinal.....
This is one of the frog species we found a couple of days ago..

I nearly stepped onto it as it was sitting completely motionless on the path matching the it in colour.
I was waiting until it moved. It didn't. It seemed not to notice our presence to jump away as fast as possible.
I was tired to wait long and first started to throw little pieces of branches to it - it can be seen in the video.
 It didn't move.
Then I started to push it gently with a little stick. I touched the paw, it withdrew it, I touched another one, it withdrew it too, and thus all the four ones. I touched it on the back, it moved closer to the ground, I did another one - much closer as if it wanted to become flat and absolutely merge with the ground.
I didn't know what to do, was afraid smth had happened to it and it was dying.
I stamped my food. The vibration seemed to waken it up and it jumped. I did again - another jump.
And so we did it with the frog in unison until it jumped up from the path into the high grass.
I signed relieved as I didn't want anybody to set foot on it and kill it.

My questions:
What is the name of this frog species?
What sort of behavioural strategy is it? Had it been hunting (sit-and-wait predator) before we approached? And as soon as it noticed us did it use the behavioural strategy of sitting motionless and merging with the ground?

The Green Queen
This is another frog - again I don't know its name. And thus looks the area where it lives - her habitat.
When we came up to the river it jumped actively but as soon as my husband focused his camera on it it became motionless.

He was taking pictures of it for about 10 minutes (or more) and it was sitting still.
He called me to come up and have a look at it and again this "frozen" sitting made me ask him if he thought it was alright..."yes, it is, it was jumping merrily some minutes ago before I started the camera...".:)
I suggested it was attracted by the blinking of the camera lenses and was"enchanted" by it...though I immediately swept this idea off...seemed hardly possible it could be so...
Besides, our dog was actively busy swimming and running in the water, very close to the Frog creating storms in the water.


Not a hint of a movement. Frozen. Whatever we did - bending towards it, speaking loud, throwing sticks in the water...
We were leaving. This adamant Green Lady remained still, motionless, with her staunchest belief we couldn't see her:)

My questions:
What is the name of this frog species?
What sort of behavioural strategy is it? Again - sitting motionless and merging with the surrounding water and greens?

2 комментария:

  1. Hi there! Firstly, I have to say, lovely blog you've got running here! I look forward to learning more about all the creatures that could be found in Russia. As to the name of the frog species, could it possibly be a subspecies of Leopard Frog? I may be mistaken, however it does bear a striking resemblance to the ones found here in South Africa. And if this is the case, their main defensive strategy is to burrow into the mud, or under some water weeds till danger has passed. So it mainly relies on camouflage to escape from predation and that's probably why it didn't move at all. Once again, great blog and greetings from South Africa! :D

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Hello, thanks a lot for your comments and sharing experiences....I surfed the Net and found ou that it looks like the Lake Frog (Pelophylax ridibundus) whose habitat is South and Central Europe, Asia and North Africa.
    As fr as I could guess from the pictures the Leopard Frogs have more distinct and bigger spots.
    However, this little creature also like to bury itself in the mud to hide, as I noticed.:):)

    ОтветитьУдалить